Thursday, April 28, 2011

Blind Dates Aren’t So Bad


Somehow, I made it to the ripe-old age of 30 before I went on a blind date.  And honestly, it wasn’t too bad!

“Hold it,” most of you are thinking, “What about Mark?!?”  Oh yeah, he went on a blind date too.  Now don’t get your panties all in a bunch. . .we went on a blind date together!

Moving to a new state, far from home, one of my main concerns was how much I was going to miss our friends.  Trying to make friends, especially good ones (and couples, no less), is like digging for a needle in a haystack.  And after you find them, it’s easy to take them for granted; they’re always gonna be there, just right around the corner.  Until they’re 1,064.96 miles away. 

So just like when you go through a break-up (I’m sorry Columbus, it’s not you, it’s us) you have to put yourself out there and meet someone new.  Mark and I put ourselves out there, and met a new couple.  Now it’s not like we joined some weird “We’re a 30-something couple with a kid, new to the city, seeking a normal couple to share pizza and wine with” website. (Do they even have those?!?  Mental note for new business venture. . .)  We got set-up by mutual friends.  I heard that’s the best way to do    it. . .

And before you ask, yes, of course we were safe and got to know each other the responsible/modern way.  You know, friend each other on FB and e-mail back and forth for months before making plans for the first live meeting.

The day of the big date, I had the expected first-date jitters.  What should I wear?  What should I have Mark wear?  And best yet:  What should Lake wear?!?  I wonder what we’ll talk about. . .what if the conversation takes a turn to one of those awkward silences and things get weird?  What if they hate us?

But I had Mark around to reassure me.  “Who could hate us?!?’  And when I panicked because the apartment wasn’t tidy enough to invite them up for a drink after dinner Mark replied, “Maybe we won’t like them.  And then you have an out!”

But we did like them.  They were smart, and witty, and fun.  The conversation never took a turn toward awkward silence and I wished I had cleaned up the apartment.  They even took us out for gelato after dinner – too cute.  The one and only downfall?  He’s a Michigan fan.  But remember those panties I referred to earlier?  Make sure they are big-girl ones, put them on and deal with it.  We broke-up with Columbus, remember?!?

And today, a post-date follow-up e-mail.  They want to see us again!  If he can look past our Buckeye devotion, we’ll just have to reciprocate J

So our first blind date was a success. Thank you to our friends that set us up.  You just handed us the needle and we didn’t even have to dig for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment