Thursday, April 7, 2011

Moving Is Like Childbirth


Moving is like childbirth.

Seriously, it is.  Before I had Lake, when I would express fear of labor, women would always reassure me that when it was all over, I would forget all about the pain and difficulties of pregnancy and labor because the end result is so awesome. I have found that to be true (with these 3 little exceptions: fat feet, swollen face, and excruciating heartburn) but only because Lake is so, so sweet.

So, I guess the same goes for moving.  I have moved 13 times since I left my childhood home in Canfield to move to Athens at the tender age of 17.  Yep, go ahead and gasp at my lucky 13th move to Dallas – done? Ok, lets move on before I call an exorcist to my new apartment.  Back to moving. . .

Now, I’m sure that each time I moved sucked.  But I have to imagine that it sucked less when all I was moving were some trash bags full of Forever 21 clothes and a Wal-Mart bin filled with flip flops.  Each move I added a few more pieces of furniture and many more boxes that should have been labeled “I have no idea where this s**t came from, so good luck finding a place for it in your new home.” Now I say I imagine it sucked less, because honestly, I don’t remember.

Because like I said before, moving is like childbirth.  You’re excited about your new home – giddy with anticipation about where you’ll hang your favorite painting, just like nesting.  You curse the packing and the day you say goodbye to friends and family, just like you curse the day you were diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  You gather your luggage and rush to the airport, just like when you sped to the hospital.  It takes 25 minutes to get through security at the airport with your spouse, toddler and 2 petrified cats only to get on a plane hoping that there isn’t some poor schmuck sitting next to your crying baby and meowing felines. . .just like the 19 hours of labor where (enter your own crazy delivery experience here - mine is TMI!!).

But you ultimately arrive safely in your new home, just like when your baby arrives safely into your arms.

I lived in Columbus for 5 magnificent years.  Truly and honestly, I don’t remember unpacking boxes, or not having photos on the walls.  Because once I really lived in that condo, it became a home, and I forgot about the pain of moving.  Just like how once I had Lake, I became a mom and I forgot about the pain of childbirth.

There are still boxes to be unpacked and many a trips to Target ahead, just like getting shower gifts put away and making daily visits to Baby’s ‘R Us.  And so, my intention now is make this apartment into a home, just like how Lake made me into a mom.   Hopefully Dallas, too, will be so, so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment