Thursday, April 14, 2011

Nothin’ But SPF

I got my first tube of lipstick, lip gloss really, when I was in the 6th grade.  It was Covergirl lipslicks – a bright pink shade in a purple tube.  I would enter the girl’s bathroom, the one right next to Mr. Izzo’s shop class, take it out of my book bag and apply meticulously.  I'd smile in the mirror and walk out of that bathroom feeling a little more like me.

Well that tube of Covergirl lead to clear mascara (seriously, what is the point?  Especially on blonde eyelashes. . .) and cover-up for those unruly teenage breakouts, then I dabbled in regular mascara and eventually in college I started to use eyeshadow and liner.  We would get those Clinique mailers at the AOPi house and the marketing was genius.  CLINIQUE BONUS TIME.  How else do you get sorority girls to buy makeup but to offer them a FREE makeup tote?  Totally worked on me.

And finally after college, I graduated to the big-girl makeup known as foundation. 

With each new addition to my cosmetic arsenal, there was an additional step to my morning routine. But that never stopped me! I don’t remember ever leaving the dorm, even for an 8 am class the morning after a LATE night, without a shower and fresh face of makeup.  And GASP if I ever showed up to work without my signature face.

The night I went into labor, I got out of bed at 2:30am, called the doctor and immediately asked if I had time to shower.  Her answer was yes, and 30 minutes later Mark walked into the bathroom only to find me sitting at the vanity gingerly applying eyeliner.  I think he almost croaked.  I just wanted to make sure I looked like me when Lake arrived.  (A valiant effort, I might say, but alas there was very little looking like me by 9 pm that evening.)

But then yesterday, I went cold turkey.  I walked out the door with nothing on my face but a little Aveno SPF 50.  Ok, ok, I know 50 may be a little high for some of you folks, but I’m fair skinned, the sun in Texas is radically different from the sun in Ohio and I don’t want to get wrinkles!  (Or skin cancer for that matter. . .)

Now maybe I did it because the Today Show segment on People magazine’s “Most Beautiful People” issue inspired me.  You know when they photograph celebrities without their makeup?  Or maybe it is because I have a sick toddler and the 2-block jaunt to Walgreens didn’t really seem like a big deal.  Or maybe it’s because Texans religiously wear sunglasses, and behind my aviators you can’t see my uncurled, naked eyelashes. But really, I think it’s because I don’t know a soul in Dallas.

There’s something liberating about being in a new place and starting your life over.  I can be whoever I want to be because there are no expectations.  No one here knows if I should be wearing makeup or if my nails are supposed to be painted, and I like that.  The freedom of it, at least.  Bottom line:  I can re-define me, if I want.

(Side bar and admission - I purchased a tube of Neutrogena "tinted" SPF 20 lip balm while in Walgreens, opened and applied it before I left the parking lot.  I said I could redefine me if I want, I never said I wanted to!)

Do I miss the chance of bumping into acquaintances and friends?  Absolutely.  But I think I could get used to Aveno SPF 50 everyday.  And makeup most days. 

What?!?  Never underestimate the power of a little lipgloss.  After 18 years, I still smile at the way lipgloss makes me feel a little more like me :)


1 comment:

  1. Now you realize why I am never without my sunglasses! I miss you, miss you, miss you! I'm happy to see you writing again! Get settled because I'll be there soon!

    ReplyDelete