Tuesday, May 3, 2011

1 Month Down!

We’ve officially been in Dallas for 1 month!  Here are 5 take-home points I've discovered about my new city.

1)  Go Blonde or Go Home!

I don’t care if it’s bright golden, dark ash, honey, light pale, platinum or strawberry.  All-over color or highlights, I’ve seen it all – on pretty much everybody.  Walking down the street in Dallas reminds me of the game “Duck, Duck Goose,” except is like “Blonde, Blonde, Brunette with Blonde highlights.”  Normally something like this would bother me, but I fit right in, which is nice J

2)  OU?  Oh, Where?

People in Dallas ask, “Where did you go to school?”  I reply, “OU.” 
          
            From there the conversation goes a little something like this:
“How awesome!  Oklahoma is a great school!” 
“Oh, no” I say, “Ohio University.”
“Oh, geez.  Sorry about your luck with Tressel. . .”
“Actually, that’s Ohio State in Columbus.  I went to OU in Athens.”
“So you traveled abroad?”
“What?”
“Athens, is in Greece, right?”
“Ha, no, actually it’s in Southeast Ohio.”
“Oh, ok, cool.”

Noted:  In every other part of the country, OU is known as Oklahoma University.  I’m thinking that my new response to “Where did you go to school?”  will sound something like this:  “Ohio University.  Not the Buckeye’s, but the Bobcats.  In Athens, a small town in Southeast Ohio.  Yes, it was cool.”

3)  Chicago Aint Got Nothing On This Windy City.

The month of April brought showers all right.  Here in Dallas, we had 7 newsworthy storms that included thunder and lightning and hail, oh my!  I actually rewound the news (I Love DVR) when Jennifer Lopez, yes our newscaster’s name is Jennifer Lopez, said there would be “baseball-sized hail” and “70 mph winds” during one storm. 

Now in Ohio, hail is a rarity, so I understand if you don’t believe me.  But go ahead and check it out for yourself.

4)  It’s true what they say:  Everything’s bigger in Texas!

If you’re like me, I thought that by everything, they meant hair, boobs and diamonds.  I mean, the April issue of D Magazine lists the “52 Things Every Dallasite Must Do!” and #40 is Get Fake Boobs.  Apparently Dallas is the #3 city in the country for plastic surgery, and they are none too happy being the second runner-up.

But enough about boobs. . .other things are bigger in Texas, too – including price tags!  My Ohio-made grande, non-fat, sugar-free vanilla caramel macchiato cost me $4.15.  Here in Dallas?  $4.60!  The barista in the West Village laughed out loud when I asked if the drink would taste better here in Texas.  Not better, but still delish.

5)  Didn’t you hear?  Bentley is the new Camry.

Mark, Lake and I have made eating outside at Urban Taco a Sunday evening ritual.  Good food, great margaritas and fantastic car watching.  Yes, even better than the people watching!  It’s nothing to see multiple Porsche Cayennes (Mark and I joke they must have had a sale on them!), Range Rovers, Maseratis, Mercedes G550s and Bentleys.   And not just any Bentley; It’s not surprising to see a Mulsanne cruising down McKinney and pulling up for a valet.  I don’t know about you, but I’m not so sure I would let some 19 year-old kid with a cheap vest parallel-park my $325,000 vehicle.  Just sayin.

Maybe when I trade-in my hybrid. . .

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Love #2. Sounds very similar to my conversations about school. :0)

    ReplyDelete