Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Much Anticipated “Post-Move-First-Trip-Home”

It’s weird.  We arrived in Columbus the Friday of Memorial Day weekend, and the familiarity of it all made it feel like we were returning home from a (very long) vacation.  And that’s when I began to ask myself:  When does my new home start to feel more like home than my old home?

The first leg of our trip we stayed with friends across the street from our condo.  Our stay in Columbus was lovely and bizarre all at the same time.  It was wonderful catching up and spending quality time with close friends, but driving by the place where we became a family (and that was no longer ours-yes we finally sold!) caused a little ache in my heart.

But thankfully the trip was packed full:  picnic with friends, rehearsal dinner and wedding, trip to the lake, night at Put-In-Bay, Lake’s first trip to Cedar Point, and a retirement party. (Don't worry - you'll get specifics in future posts!) Whew!  Those 10 days were filled with fun and family and were exactly what I needed.

The morning of our departure back to Dallas, I was apprehensive.  The pull of friends and loved-ones exceeded my desire to come back to Texas;  but alas, we made the drive to Pittsburgh airport and survived the flight back to DFW.  Oddly enough, I felt a sense of relief when we walked into the apartment – the security of our belongings and the love of our attention-starved kitties brought me back to life.

And so I realized it would be naïve of me to think that after 8 short weeks, I would feel more at home in Dallas than in a place I spent 30 years living.  So, I may have just a few, or I may have a lifetime of trips up north before I feel like Texas is more my home than Ohio.    But Ohio will always be my home.  I guess I’ll just have to have two J

No comments:

Post a Comment